Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Reading

I always have several books on the go. This does not mean that one book at a time won't capture me sufficiently-I think the reason is that I get very excited when I've got some new books and just want them all NOW. Plus it can be nice to switch between different genres, I suppose. When I'm in a bookshop I invariably ponder my mortality -so many books and not enough time....
Here's what I'm reading and loving at the moment:

Colour -Travels Through the Paintbox by Victoria Finlay
This book isn't about colour theory -instead it investigates the origins of colours and paints, and it does so in a most entertaining way. Finlay travelled the world to research the rich history of the colours of the rainbow and unearthed some well-kept secrets and fascinating stories along the way. A pleasure to read and very informative, and of course full of colourful individuals!

Tinísima by Elena Poniatowska
I first heard about the photographer and revolutionaryTina Modotti in relation to the artist Frida Kahlo, whose work I admire. I have long been a fan of Elena Poniatowska, so when I spotted this book in a second-hand bookshop, I had to get it. It is a fictionalised biography of Modotti. I have only just started reading it, but love it already. The edition I have also includes photographs by and of Modotti which open each chapter.

A Grief Observed by C. S. Lewis
Lewis wrote this after his wife died of cancer. It is an honest and personal reflection on death and the nature of grief and beautifully written. I lost my father to cancer, and there are so many passages that just made me gasp in recognition. For instance, he writes of how his wife's face now eludes him, while he can vividly recall that of a stranger, but "[w]e have seen the faces of those we know best so variously, from so many angles, in so many lights, with so many expressions -waking, sleeping, laughing, crying, eating, talking, thinking -that all the impressions crowd into our memory together and cancel out in a mere blur." (Lewis, C.S., A Grief Observed, faber and faber London1961, p.15)

7 comments:

  1. I loved this post and I love books and I also will often be reading more than one at a time...many times I have mentioned that being locked in a library accidentally with maybe a connecting door to a yummy bakery and restaurant (it's my fantasy so I can get creative here) would not be a bad thing!

    Sorry to hear about your dad, Marina. I choose to always remember that we go through grief, we do not get over it and that is a good thing because our loved ones should be treasured forever!

    blessings and hugs,

    marcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marina!

    Thank you for your lovely comment, I really appreciate it. And thanks for pointing me in the direction of your blog, as well! (Welcome to the blogosphere :) ). I'll add you to my blogroll the next time I update my links.

    A Grief Observed is one of the few Lewis books I haven't read, but I have heard it is very moving. Have you read A Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion? Another wonderful book about grief written while right in the thick of it.

    A xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Marcy -thank you for your comment, and I completely agree with you regarding your library fantasy!
    Also, you are so right about going through grief, and you said it so well. Thank you!

    @FETE VIDAL -lovely to meet you; thanks for visiting! I had a look at your blog and it made me feel nostalgic for Spain -I lived there for a year...

    @a cat of impossible colour - Thank you so much for your reply and for welcoming me :)!
    Yes, I have read Joan Didion's book. I loved it, particularly the haunting theme of her magical thinking -for instance, when she describes how she believes that John will return and cannot give away his shoes.
    Marina xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marina me he quedado asombrado al ver que posees un castallano perfecto!!! ya quisiese para mi un ingles asi de bueno, jajajajaaaa.
    Besos y abrazos por el cielo ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Blog Marina. And I'd be very interested to read that colour book. Thanks for posting up info about it.

    All the best
    April

    ReplyDelete
  6. FETE VIDAL: Gracias! Tu inglés es muy bueno! Besos

    April: Thank you so much! I'm so happy you popped in. Yes, I would say you'd enjoy that book.
    Marina x

    ReplyDelete