Friday, May 10, 2013

Lightness






I just saw that Angeliki wrote about Bibliosophy, or How Reading is Connected with Psychology this week, and it struck me that I often get the sense that I have intuitively picked the right book at the right time (or I construe this narrative in hindsight).

Right now, I am re-reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being - curiously at a time when everything feels strangely heavy - and the philosophising in it addresses so much that feels acute to me at the moment:

 "We can never know what to want, because, living only one life, we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come." (p.7, faber and faber, London 1999)

Oliver Burkeman also touched on this in one of his Guardian columns recently. The need to make decisions (not the big life decisions Burkeman talks about, but decisions nonetheless) weighs on me, and I crave lightness, but I have a feeling I will resort to going with the flow as usual. While I find it difficult to trust my intuition, because often I am not even able to access it, I do trust that everything is happening as it should, and perhaps with all the growing going on around me (spring is here at last) and the longer days, the lightness will come, too.



1 comment:

  1. I hope things become less heavy-feeling my good friend across the sea. Perhaps as the weather warms, so too will everything.

    ReplyDelete