Wednesday, June 27, 2012

It's the journey...


Last week I was back in the swing of things with the illustrations. I immersed myself in the world of animals and enjoyed it immensely - the patterns, the postures, the behaviour, how they relate to each other and their environment in terms of height, etc.

 Sending an update with the latest illustrations off to the writer

As Martha Beck said in her article "Enjoyment is in the Waiting", instead of longing for the day things are "signed, sealed, and delivered" and thinking only then will we be "free to enjoy ourselves", we should enjoy the process, the creating, and "relax around the concept of disappointment. Tension and anxiety won't make you less disappointed if you don't get what you want". I waste so much time and energy with anxiety and worry, so I really need to keep reminding myself of this, both in the context of creative pursuits and in other areas of my life.

Occasionally I feel overwhelmed by deadlines and work in progress that at times doesn't seem to be progressing at all, but I wouldn't be happy if I didn't have any ongoing projects or challenges. The idea of taking the summer off completely is tempting sometimes, but really I love having things to work on.

 
This is a painting I didn't get framed in the end - for now this is where it lives. I like having paintings leaning against the wall; you have to crouch to look at them properly, and it makes the encounter more intimate in a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment