Saturday, June 1, 2013

Flowery



 Tiny...

...to tall.

Pink and yellow on paper...

...and in the garden.

The hawthorn is spectacular from a distance, but beautiful in detail, too.


"A few years ago Hockney was so frustrated at having to leave home before the hawthorn came into flower that his annual diary was re-arranged so that he could guarantee to be there for what he describes as 'action week', that moment when nature explodes from winter monochrome into spring colour." (The Guardian, 24 May 2013)

I was reminded of David Hockney's endeavour to capture 'action week' today, because the hawthorn seems to have erupted everywhere overnight, and more and more colours sprinkle the greys of the Burren.

There are fresh flowers on my table, a new soap in the shower, and the tulips in the Burren Perfumery's herb garden happened to be the colours I was using for a background I painted.

The water we drink is infused with mint, and I dream of having a lemon balm bush like the one in my mom's garden and making tea from it. Apparently it is easy to grow here, too.

All these scents and colours are an antidote to a rather stressful few weeks. I may have a seemingly endless To Do list and a woefully empty fridge, but I do make time to stop and smell the roses tulips.

4 comments:

  1. Look at all the glorious colors all around!! Looks like heaven :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it? And smells heavenly, too! :-)

      Delete
  2. Marina, you have a beautiful way with words. I'm certain that you will write a book one day (if you haven't already!). Blessings to you. ~ I was thinking of you this morning because I'm reading a book that I think you might like. It's called Edge Seasons by Beth Powning. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very kind of you, Holly - thank you so much for your encouragement! Thanks also for the book recommendation. I looked it up, and it sounds great! Have put it on my list xx

      Delete