Thursday, September 8, 2011

On my mind


Since my last post I have been wondering why I keep sabotaging myself by not doing the things that I know will make me feel better. A few posts ago I wrote about how working with coloured pencils gave me a much-needed sense of peace and tranquility, yet between then and today I hadn't put pencil to paper at all. I finally went back to it this afternoon and it was an instant boost. It's been the same with running: I let the torrential rain we have had put me off - though today was dry and I still didn't go. I have, however, been good at keeping up the meditation and yoga, and I hope I won't lapse. It grounds me, and if there is one thing I need it is grounding.

This may be the start of my long weekend, and I am hoping to do some work from home, lots of making-things, and meet up with a few friends. I am beginning to learn the importance of not making too many plans, though.

On my mind this week:

-I'm happy to be back at work. I am so grateful that I have it and that I enjoy it.

-Sort of related to all the above, the advice in this article struck a chord with me:
 "Toss Productivity Out" by Leo Babauta

-I bought Lucinda Williams's "Copenhagen" on iTunes and have been listening to it on repeat. Beautiful, haunting lyrics and music, and her voice is amazing.

-I'm looking forward to watching "Happy-go-Lucky" (I love Sally Hawkins!).
 Also the new Almodóvar, "The Skin I Live In". There are afternoon screenings at the cinema here at the  moment, so I am planning a sneaky daytime cinema trip by myself.

-I read a feature about Anjum Anand in a magazine, and she swears by Indian Masala tea as a reviving elixir-she didn't specify quantities, but you boil sliced ginger and cardamom pods in milk. Since I am a fan of chai tea and love using ginger, I want to try this.

-Working on the throw. Photos to come. I have used up all the yarn and now have 16 squares. I just spent 15 minutes deciding how to arrange them, in case I leave it at that, which means it'll be a Very Small Throw.

-I am debating whether to join the gym again- not for the gym itself (never set a foot in there), but for the pool and -actually, this is the real reason- the sauna. After using the sauna in the hotel we stayed in in Bantry, I realised how much I had missed it. My sauna buddy has left the country, so it won't be the same as in 2009/10, but still, it'll be worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment